Prep time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 4 large bell peppers (yellow,color)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (96/4%)
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 16oz can rinsed and drained green chilies
- 1 16oz can rinsed and drained chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozarella cheese (for topping)
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight. In 4-quart Dutch oven, add enough water to cover peppers. Heat to boiling; add peppers. Cook about 2 minutes; drain.
- In 10-inch skillet, add beef, onion, salt, cumin and garilic and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in beans, tomatoes and green chilies, and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; cook until hot.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.